Karl Nesler, IAAI-CFI, CIFI, AIC, FCLA, PCLA
Mr. Nesler, IAAI-CIFI, AIC, FCLA, PCLA, is a retired special investigative unit investigator, who worked in the insurance industry for over 28 years investigating and resolving complex automobile, homeowner and commercial claims. Karl retired from State Farm Insurance Companies having spent the last 18 years of his career there handling special investigations within the upper Midwest. He led comprehensive inquiries; analyzed damages, causation, and potential fraud. Karl collaborated with insurance agents, repair professionals, and attorneys to interpret policies and determine proper settlements. He conducted detailed and comprehensive fire scene investigations in conjunction with origin and cause experts, participated in evidence collections, documented loss scenes through use of photography and diagrams, and has conducted thousands of detailed interviews.
Karl’s areas of expertise include: Fire investigations, Evidence Handling,
Interviews, Subrogation, Fraud Investigation, Property & Fire Claims, Damage
Appraisal, Settlement Negotiation, Liability Analysis, Customer Service, Report
Writing and Evaluation, Detailed Documentation, and Legal Testimony. He has
been deposed on multiple occasions, and given testimony in court as a company
witness, a prosecution witness, as well as a grand jury witness.
Mr. Nesler has served key leadership positions with the International Association of
Arson Investigators – North Dakota Chapter and the Fargo-Moorhead Claim
Association. He has instructed in topics relating to fire origin and cause, vehicle
fires, interviewing and kinesics, evidence & spoliation, fire investigation for the
insurance professional, mechanical damage (other than hail), National Insurance
Crime Bureau – suspicious loss indicators, and insurance fraud awareness.
Karl is a contributing author for The Institutes on the Associate in Claims professional insurance designation course AIC 31, Property Claims Practices sections: Investigating Fire, Lightning, Smoke and Explosion Losses; Investigating Suspicious Fire Claims; and The Fire Investigation Team. He has completed over 750 hours in continuing education on topics relating to fire investigation and over 700 hours in continuing education on topics relating to insurance.
- Certified Fire Investigator- International Assoc. of Arson Investigators
- Certirfied Insurance Fraud Investigator- International Assoc. of Special Investigation Units
- Property Claims Law Associate- American Education Institute, Inc.
- Fraud Claims Law Associate- American Education Institute, Inc.
- Property Claims Law Specialist- American Education Institute, Inc.
- Fraud Claims Law Specialist- American Education Institute, Inc.
- Associate in Claims- The Institutes
- Certificate in General Insurance- Insurance Institute of America
- Fargo Moorhead Claim Association 1991 – Present
- Current office: Secretary 2019 ‐2020
- Past offices held: President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary
- Anti‐Vehicle Crime Association of Minnesota 2000 – 2015
- International Association of Special Investigative Units 2000 – Present
- International Association of Arson Investigators 2000 – Present
- International Association of Arson Investigators – North Dakota Chapter 2000 – Present
- Life Member
- Offices held: President (2003 – 2014), First Vice President (2001 – 2003)
- International Association of Arson Investigators – Minnesota Chapter 2002 to 2017, 2019
- International Association of Auto Theft Investigators – North Central Region Chapter 2000-2015