Maria Sabatini, IAAI-CFI
Maria Sabatini joined the Fire Cause Analysis Team as an investigator in 2011. She also had the good fortune to enjoy a lengthy fire service career, starting with the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection in 1988. She then served for twenty-eight years in the Oakland Fire Department, where she encountered a diversity of people and fires second to nowhere. Still excited about every new fire, Maria continues to take on new challenges to further her expertise and training in fire investigation.
Maria is an International Association of Arson Investigators Certified Fire Investigator, holds a Master’s Degree in Public Administration, and enjoys sharing her acquired knowledge of fire investigation with the next generation of investigators. She was a regular adjunct instructor in Oakland’s Police and Fire academies where she imparted a strong foundation in fire scene investigations and a profound appreciation of evidence preservation on new recruits. Maria’s investigative experience includes fires in commercial and residential structures, and she has provided testimony as an expert witness on 25 occasions in the Superior Court of California, Alameda and Contra Costa Counties, and United States District Court, in both criminal and civil procedures.
Education & Certifications:
- Master of Public Administration, California State University East Bay – 2000
- Bachelor of Arts – Psychology, Mills College – 1986
- California Licensed Private Investigator – 2010 (P.I. # 27141)
- Certified Fire Investigator, International Association of Arson Investigators – 2008 (IAAICFI #22-135)
- NFPA 1033-1998 Fire Investigator – National Board on Fire Service Professional Qualifications – 2008 (# 292130)
- Level II (Highest Level) Fire Investigator, California State Fire Marshall – 2008
- Certified Fire Investigator, California Conference of Arson Investigators – 2007
- Peace Officer, California Police Officer Standard Training PC 832 – 2004